Monday 2 July 2012

Testing scientific ideas in an old graveyard

'Will my gravestone last?' is the latest Earthlearningidea, published today. It is part of the series of activities related to our major new building stones resource and is an excellent way to take pupils out of doors to carry out scientific investigations and to see a wide range of rock types. All the preparations that need to be made to take pupils on such a visit are listed in the activity, together with lots of hypotheses which could be tested during their survey. The sheets of scaled photographs from the ELI Building stones 1 should be used for this activity.
Please let us know how you get on; we will publish any photos, results sheets, graphs etc that your pupils produce - email contact.

3 comments:

Tracie Schroeder said...

I have done something similar (although I like your data sheet better!)in my geology class. The kids love to get out into the cemetery and really get into the activity. If at all possible, we go on Halloween ;)

Unknown said...

Quite a nicely planned geology teaching exercise, apparent even to a non-teacher like me. (Engineering Geologist/Rock Mechanic)
Your list for the students of good cemetery behaviors reminded me of the repeated commandments from my youthful family visits to the cemetery: 'Do not walk on the graves! Never walk on the graves! Walk around them!' Questioning the logic of that got me in trouble more than once.

Madison Evans said...

This is a great activity especially during Halloween. I wish I had an activity as fun (and exciting) when I was in grade school. When I was a young lass I have always found cemeteries to be a wee awe-inspiring.